History of the School
The Hitotsubashi University Faculty of Commerce and Management and Graduate School of Commerce and Management (the School) have inherited the traditions of Japan’s oldest business school, the Commercial Training School (Shōhō Kōshūjo), established in 1875. The Commercial Training School underwent several name changes, from Tokyo Commercial School in 1884, to Higher Commercial School in 1887, to Tokyo Higher Commercial School in 1902, and again to the Tokyo University of Commerce in 1920. During that time, it expanded its purview from commerce and management to encompass a wide range of academic disciplines including economics, law, and social sciences.
In 1949, the Tokyo University of Commerce changed its name to Hitotsubashi University, and by 1951, the university had grown to comprise four faculties: the Faculty of Commerce and Management, the Faculty of Economics, the Faculty of Law, and the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Today, Hitotsubashi University is one of Japan’s leading universities in the social sciences, comprising four undergraduate faculties, six graduate schools, one stand-alone school, and one research institute. Together, the Faculty of Commerce and Management and Graduate School of Commerce and Management constitute a single Business Academic Unit (BAU) responsible for undergraduate and graduate education respectively.